Sunday, October 16, 2011

Short and Sweet

I am going to begin my blog by apologizing. This past week/weekend has been crazy busy for me in many ways so I am going to keep this blog short and sweet! Midterm week has definitely worn me out and I cannot believe a whole new week is starting tomorrow! Ahhhh.

I am looking forward to our read aloud tomorrow during class. Just working in my small writing group, it is amazing to see how much talent and diversity we have in our class. This assignment allowed for a wide range of flexibility so it will be very interesting to hear classmates read their stories. Along with this assignment, I have never had to write a commentary before this assignment and although it took more effort…I found it very helpful to track my writing process along the way. The commentary also serves as a great reflection to all of our memoirs. I am interested in knowing whether most people began working on and writing their commentary while they were in the process of writing their memoir or if people finished their memoir and then looked back on the entire writing process and then wrote their commentary? J
See you all tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I'm also interested in how people wrote their commentaries. I waited until I was almost finished revising my memoir before I started my commentary, though I kept notes on changes I made throughout my revisions. I'm still not sure I'm happy with my commentary. I've never written a commentary either, so I can't help but worry that I did it wrong! I guess I'm hoping that, since they're our *own* commentaries, there's no right or wrong way to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hear everyone's stories tonight. I agree with you: I've never written a commentary before and it has been quite a reflective activity. I've enjoyed it, though! I brought a draft of my commentary to discuss it with my workshop group in our last session. Someone told me that mine was like "writing a story about how you wrote a story." I really liked it, so I've been following that approach.
    -Luis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took notes throughout on the memoir writing process, but I didn't actually begin writing the commentary until after the memoir was nearly complete. The commentary has undergone some revision and continues to grow as I continue to revise. I'm pretty excited to hear all of the work too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought our read-aloud went really well and I loved hearing everyone's memoirs. YAY!

    ReplyDelete